If you are a dog owner then, you must know that your pet dogs often suffer from allergic reactions that cause severe discomfort to them. Well, you will be happy to know that with Benadryl you are now able to treat all the discomforts of your loving pet. Benadryl is a common medicine used for treating allergenic reactions both for human beings, as well as dogs. Benadryl is also known as diphenhydramine in medical terms. This medicine is normally available in the market both in the form of tablets as well as cream. Benadryl is an FDA approved medicine and is highly recommended by veterinary doctors in order to treat allergies that are usually being diagnosed in your pet dogs. This anti-allergic medicine is found highly effective in dogs suffering from skin problems like itching, sleeplessness, motion sickness, stuffy nose and many more similar problems. It is a good remedy to treat all kinds of allergies in your pets if given with proper recommended doses with respect to your dog’s weight.
Benadryl Dosage For Dogs
|Your Dog's Weight||Recommended Dose||Maximum Dose|
|5 pounds||5 mg||5 mg|
|10 pounds||10 mg||10 mg|
|15 pounds||15 mg||15 mg|
|20 pounds||20 mg||20 mg|
|30 pounds||30 mg||30 mg|
|40 pounds||40 mg||40 mg|
|50 pounds||50 mg||50 mg|
|75 pounds||75 mg||75 mg|
|100 pounds||100 mg||100 mg|
|125 pounds||125 mg||125 mg|
|150 pounds||150 mg||150 mg|
|175 pounds||175 mg||175 mg|
Some of the pros and cons of Benadryl when given to dogs are listed below. Go through them and know how to use this drug to treat the allergies of your pet:
Some of the pros and cons of Benadryl, when given to dogs, are listed below. Go through them and know how to use this drug to treat the allergies of your pet:
Pros of Benadryl for Dogs:
- Benadryl is a safe medicine for your pet’s dogs as no major side effects have been noticed from the research on dogs that were treated with this medicine.
- This medicine is a highly recommended one by veterinary experts to treat allergic reactions in dogs, and its effect has been reported to be long lasting.
- You can give Benadryl to your dog for a long term with recommended doses, and it will keep away the dog from any common allergic reaction.
- You can go for Benadryl in case you notice symptoms like itching or scratching and red eyes with sneezing. This medicine is also beneficial to treat the toes red skin of dogs with a foul smell.
- Just like human beings, dogs are also bitten by various kinds of insects that cause swelling in their body and sometimes lead to some major allergic reaction. Benadryl works wonder to give immediate relief to your dog for such kinds of allergies caused due to insect bites.
- The most striking thing about Benadryl is that it gets absorbed by the body very quickly. So, your dog will get an immediate and instant relief from his discomforts.
- In the case your dog is diagnosed with muscle’s tumor, the doctor can prescribe Benadryl as researches have shown that it is highly effective for muscle tumors.
- You often give vaccination to your dogs. But sometimes after vaccination your dog may show some allergic reactions. In such a situation, Benadryl can be used to minimize the problem instantly.
- Relief from vomiting, itching, insomnia, etc. are some of the other benefits of giving Benadryl to your dog.
If the problem of your dog is diagnosed properly and recommended doses of Benadryl are given to your dog in proper time, then you will surely observe positive reaction in your pet’s activity.
Cons of Benadryl for Dogs:
- Every medicine has got more or less side effects when given to its users. Benadryl also comes with some side effects along with its unmatched advantages:
- You need to be very sure before giving Benadryl to your pet dog as this anti-allergic medicine may react with other drugs that your dog is consuming for other problems. So, you are highly advised to consult with a qualified doctor and inform him about all the medicines that your pet is consuming for other health problems before you go for Benadryl.
- Benadryl is not exactly formulated to cure the allergy problems that your dog is facing. It works on the symptoms and not the actual cause of the problem. You will be wrong if you think that after using Benadryl your dog’s problem will get cured permanently. You may again see the symptoms in your dog once the effect of the medicine gets over with time.
- One of the most common side effects that are being noticed in dogs after using Benadryl is Sedation. Though some dogs show this symptom, it’s not mandatory for all dogs. So, keep in mind that your pet dog may not show any side effect like this.
- Another disadvantage of Benadryl is that it can’t be used in liquid form. It is because the alcohol percentage in liquid Benadryl is reported to be very high and as such they may not be appropriate your pet dog.
- In case you are not staying in United States then be extra careful while using this medicine. It is because the chemical composition of Benadryl may not be the same in other parts of the world. So, be very careful and see the package instruction carefully before using for your dog’s safety.
- It is often reported by the dog owners that Benadryl causes dry mouth to their dogs, and they also observe less urination in their pets due to dryness caused by Benadryl.
- In very rare cases it is found that the dog that is given Benadryl vomits along with some symptoms of gastric disorder.
- Your dog may look a little drowsy once the medicine comes into effect.
- Benadryl can’t be given for a long term as in some cases it is reported by the owners that Benadryl weakens their dog’s immune system.
- Overdoses of Benadryl might show severe side effects. As such the doses should be based on the weight of your pet. So, you need to consult with qualified veterinary doctors before opting Benadryl for your pet dog.
- If you do not want to worry about giving an overdose or be worried about the side effects of Benadryl for your dog, you can try Pet Bounce. It’s a completely safe, all natural joint pain relief that works very well. I’ve used it numerous times, and I can give it to my dogs without feeling worried.
Well, it’s obvious that being a dog owner you will be worried about the discomforts of your dog caused due to allergies. But, now with Benadryl you can easily help out your dog to get rid of all its discomforts. All you need to remember is that all the cons of this medicine can be overcome only if you give this to your dog as per the recommended dosage along with proper diet. For better result, you can consult with a veterinary expert before using this medicine for your dog.